T20 Blast Girls, U13s and U15-U17s
We now have a complete pathway for young female cricketers to follow, starting with the In2Cricket program designed for 4-to-7 year-olds, the Friday night T20 Blast designed for the 8-to-10 year-olds and then on to playing in the U13 and U15-U17s competitions.
Details of In2Cricket are found here.
T20 Blast Girls
- Fun, 8-a-side, Girls-Only games, played on Friday evenings
- October to March – girls have the option of playing a full season or half a season
- Modified games of cricket for the 8-to-10 year-olds
- The girls play with a soft ball and no batting gloves, pads or helmets are needed.
- Skills zone to work on and improve the cricket basics
- All games played to music
- Everybody gets to bat and bowl
- Played at Melwood Oval, Forestville
U13s and U15-U17s
- 9-a-side Twenty20 format cricket for girls aged 10 to 12 (U13s) and 13-14 (U15s), that is aligned to the Womens Big Bash League
- It’s helmets, batting gloves and pads as a leather cricket ball is used
- Games played at 2pm on Saturday afternoons
- The competition starts mid-October ending in March, with a break over the Summer holidays.
- For the u15s, at this stage the MWJCA is determining if there are enough teams to run an U15s competition. If there isn’t, then girls 13 years and older will be able to play in an U17s competition run by Cricket NSW, as they have done over the past two seasons.
Our girls have had some amazing experiences. The T20 Blast girls played on the ground at the SCG during the Test match, they were presented with signed playing caps by the Sydney Sixers players before a Big Bash game, and played on ANZ Stadium between the Australian women’s and men’s T20 Internationals.